The Old Town of Vilnius (Lithuanian: Vilniaus senamiestis, Polish : Stare Miasto w Wilnie, Belarusian: Стары горад Вільні, Russian: Старый город в Вильнe), one of the largest surviving medieval old towns in Northern Europe , has an area of 3.59 square kilometres (887 acres). It encompasses 74 quarters, with 70 streets and lanes numbering 1487 buildings with a total floor area of 1,497,000 square meters. The oldest part of the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius , it has developed over the course of many centuries, and has been shaped by the city 's history and a constantly changing cultural influence. It is a place where some of Europe 's greatest architectural styles—gothic, renaissance , baroque and neoclassical—stand side by side and complement each other.
Pilies Street is the Old Town 's main artery and the hub of cafe and street market life . The main street of Vilnius , Gediminas Avenue, is partially located in the Old Town . The central squares in the Old Town are the Cathedral Square and the Town Hall Square .
One of the most elaborate architectural complexes is the Vilnius University Architectural Ensemble, which occupies a large part of the Old Town and has 13 courtyards. It was selected to represent Lithuania in the Mini - Europe Park in Brussels.
In 1994 the Vilnius Old Town was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List (No.