The Botanischer Garten Grugapark is a municipal botanical garden located in the Grugapark at Virchowstraße 167a, Essen , North Rhine-Westphalia , Germany . It is open daily; an admission fee is charged.
The garden was established in 1927 for recreation , teaching, and research . Parts of the garden were destroyed in World War II but gradually rebuilt and re-designed for the Essen Bundesgartenschau of 1965 . Today its major sections are as follows:
Alpinum - mountain plants from the Caucasus, the Carpathians, and the Apennines, including gentians, alpine violets, asters, and pine trees , as well as Taiwania.
Asia section - dove tree , Japanese elm, and Asian hydrangeas, maples, and walnut trees .
Climbing plants - self -described as Germany 's largest collection of climbing plants , including clematis , honeysuckle , climbing hydrangea , wolfberry, and wild vines.
Conifers (planted 1927) - self -described as one of Europe 's largest collections, including
native conifers , araucaria , thuja, ginkgos, sequoia, dawn redwood, and the oldest cryptomeria group in North Rhine-Westphalia .
Forest valley - American sweet gums, pin oaks, bald cypresses, and a meadow with wild herbs.
Herb garden - medicinal herb garden in a medieval style.